Harold Patton spent his life serving his country, building a family business, and making Winchester a better community in which to live. He was a three sport athlete at Handley participating in football, basketball and track and was inducted into the Hunter Maddex Hall of Fame in 1990.
Harold served in the Headquarters of the US Army’s 29th Division in the European Theater during World War II and was the recipient of a Bronze Star for meritorious service. He was a lifetime member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and served as the local commander.
After returning from Germany, he married Laura Jean Forney, Handley Class of 1940. Harold and Jean owned and operated Patton’s Furniture Sales and Patton’s Moving and Storage. For over 65 years, Patton’s Furniture Sales in downtown Winchester has been managed by three generations of the Patton family, all of whom have been Handley graduates.
Harold was very active in the community. He was President of the Winchester-Frederick County Chamber of Commerce. He was a director of the Commercial and Savings Bank, the Valley of Virginia Bank, and Dominion Bank. He was on the original board of the William and Henry Evans Home and he worked with the Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival for many years.
Harold was on the first Board of Trustees of Shenandoah College and Conservatory when the school relocated from Dayton, Virginia. As the treasurer of the building fund for eight years, he was instrumental in the development of Shenandoah’s Winchester campus.
Harold was an active member of the Braddock Street United Methodist Church. He served as Chairman of the Official Board, Chairman of the Finance Committee and
Chairman of the Trustees.